Pupil ICT Acceptable Use Policy
Pupils are responsible for good behaviour when using ICT just as they are in a classroom or a school corridor. General school rules apply.
The school has made every effort to provide a safe, educational environment. ICT is provided for pupils to conduct research and communicate with others. Parents’ permission is required. Remember that access is a privilege, not a right, and that access requires responsibility.
ICT resources are finite. Downloading large files or accessing certain internet sites may mean other people are denied its use. For this reason certain actions may be restricted.
Individual users of ICT are responsible for their behaviour and communications over the network. We expect that users will comply with school standards and will honour the agreements they have signed.
Data on the school network is not encrypted and so the system should not be used for confidential or sensitive information. The Network Manager can, and does, view all files, and all data is monitored. A provider filters Internet material.
During school, teachers will guide pupils toward appropriate materials. Outside school, families bear responsibility for such guidance as they must also exercise care with information sources such as television, telephones, movies, radio and other potentially offensive media. The following are not permitted:
- Sending or displaying inappropriate material.
- Logging on to other people’s accounts, even with their permission.
- Damaging computers, computer systems or computer networks.
- Violating copyright laws.
- Downloading files without permission.
- Use of Chat Rooms.
- Sending anonymous messages or chain letters.
- Use of ICT systems for private reasons, without the headteacher’s permission.
- Use of ICT systems for financial gain, gambling, political purposes or advertising.
Blue Coat provides access to a filtered, secure wireless network within the site. Pupils may, at the school’s discretion, connect to this network using their own devices. Pupils log into this network using their regular username and password. Users connecting to this network are making use of Blue Coat’s services (networking, internet access etc) and are subject to the same conditions and monitoring as those connecting with school devices.
The school accepts no responsibility for loss or damage to personal equipment used to connect to the network.
Please note that the Mobile Devices Policy also contains information regarding the use of ICT within school.
- Breaking any of the above rules will result in a temporary or permanent ban on ICT use.
- Additional disciplinary action may be added in line with existing practice on inappropriate language or behaviour.
- When applicable, police or local authorities may be involved with legal consequences.